In January, 2020, the Parks and Recreation Commission voted to approve the Public Golf Committee, a sub-committee of the Parks and Recreation Commission. This committee will provide recommendations to City Administration and City Council via the Parks and Recreation Commission regarding public golf course operations in accordance with the, "Proposed Changes to Ownership and Use of Public Green Space in the Lester Park and Enger Park Areas," (Plan). This committee will foster communication, cooperation, and consultation between golf management, Parks and Recreation Commission, City Administration, and golfers.
For more information on the Public Golf Committee click here.
The Duluth Citizen Advisory Committee was appointed by Mayor Emily Larson from February 2018 to April 2019. This Committee was assigned a two part charge:
- Conduct a business and facility alternatives development and assessment process for Duluth Golf in the with the aim of advising the City how best to provide quality, reasonably affordable, public golf in Duluth on a financially sustainable basis, including financing for debt payments and infrastructure renovation.
- Design the planning process to meaningfully engage the opinions of a broad swath of the community, including but not limited to golfers, and provide guidance that draws on relevant data, best practices, expertise, and analysis including analysis of the potential for partial closure and sale of some Duluth Golf assets.
To support the committee’s work, the City contracted with golf industry consultants to provide the following services:
- Development and assessment of Duluth Golf business and facility options.
- Assessment of golf facility conditions and development of capital investment options.
- Public opinion research to illuminate the opinions of Duluth citizens (golfers and non-golfers) about the future of Duluth Golf.
Below you will find the Findings of the Duluth Golf Citizen Advisory Committee report, documents provided by our consultants, video footage of the Council Committee of the Whole Meeting, and the PowerPoint presentation that was given during the Council Committee of the Whole Meeting on Monday, March 11th.
Proposed Changes to Ownership and Use of Public Green Space in the Lester Park and Enger Park Areas
Lester Area Future Protection Designation Map
Golf Study Citizen Advisory Findings
March 11th Committee of the Whole Presentation
Duluth Committee of the Whole Golf Findings Video Feed
- Duluth Golf Course Facility Assessment
- Facility Assessment Supplement - Enger Course
- Facility Assessment Supplement - Enger Irrigation
- Duluth Golf Public Opinion Research
- 2019 Fund 503 Budget Summary
- JJ Keegan Financial Review
- Golf Facility Strategies
- Golf Model
- Lester Park Golf Course Market Analysis
- Enger Area Development Master Plan Concept
- Golf Citizen Advisory Committee Charge