West Duluth Sports Corridor
Project Status: Construction
The City of Duluth Parks and Recreation Division prepared a mini-master plan for the West Duluth Sports Corridor, which includes Wheeler Athletic Complex, Wade Stadium, and the Heritage Sports Center (a privately-owned and operated facility). The master planning process began in December 2014 and was completed in August 2015. The mini-master plan was approved by the Parks and Recreation Commission on September 9, 2015 and the City of Duluth Council on September 28, 2015.
Wheeler Athletic Complex is one of four qualifying parks for the Grand Avenue Parks Fund. The fund is part of the larger St. Louis River Corridor Project supported by the 1/2 and 1/2 tax fund. This specially designated funding will provide "destination-level" investments to qualifying parks. The Grand Avenue Parks Fund invests in community partnerships with user groups and residents to co-create and co-manage outdoor recreation experiences in the neighborhoods along the corridor. The Grand Avenue Parks Fund will provide 1:1 match grants up to $550,000 per park.
The City of Duluth received a $250,000 Outdoor Recreation Grant from the MN DNR for West Duluth Sports Corridor improvements. Construction will begin in Spring 2020. Proposed improvements include:
- Development of basketball, tennis, and pickle ball courts at Wheeler Athletic Complex
- Redevelopment of ball fields and restrooms at Wheeler Athletic Complex (playing surface upgrades, dugouts per competition standards)
- Bocce Ball court improvements, burying of water lines, and installation of public water fountain at Wheeler Athletic Complex
- Sand volley ball court development at Wheeler Athletic Complex
- Field #7 improvements at Wade Stadium
Construction from May-October 2020
-Duluth Softball Players Association
-St. Louis County
-Western Duluth Little League