Construction Services & Inspections

Gas Piping

This is a list of common projects that require a gas piping permit:

  • All new gas piping
  • Changing an existing gas line
  • Testing of existing gas piping that has been shut off at the meter for more than 6 months
  • Underground fuel lines from a residence to an accessory structure

Find more information on when a permit is required.

Replacement of appliances or equipment replacement from the existing shutoff to the appliance does not require a gas piping permit, but other types of permits may be required, such as for a fireplace, furnace, or water heater. Find more information about permits.

If you do not own and occupy the single family dwelling where the work is to be done, a licensed plumbing contractor must obtain the permit and do the work. Find more information regarding necessary licensing and bonding.

Underground gas fuel lines must be reviewed by the City Engineering department before Construction Services can issue a permit.

Please reference the City of Duluth’s Engineering Construction Standards for more information regarding underground gas fuel lines

Calculate permit costs by using the Permit and Plan Review Fee Calculator here.

Inspections must be requested prior to any work being covered within the walls, ceilings, floors or earth. Some common inspections are the rough-in and air test.  For other inspections that may be required, please refer to the permit card. An example Permit Card can be found here.

Gas piping permits sometimes require multiple inspections, including a final inspection. Failure to call for inspections is a violation of the building code and could trigger enforcement action. Inspection records are public information, and are often requested at the point of property sale.

Inspections are scheduled by phone. Click here for information about scheduling inspections. Inspectors’ contact information can be found here.