Community policing is only successful if our partnerships are strong with citizens. That’s why the mission of the Duluth Police Department is:
”To provide a safe Duluth for all by strengthening relationships and serving in a respectful, caring, and selfless manner.”
From community organizations to the individuals who live in Duluth’s numerous neighborhoods, they are our eyes and ears and at the heart of our core beliefs:
- We are a lifesaving organization.
- We recognize that our authority comes from our social contract with the community.
- People will believe that we are there to serve them if we are kind, caring, and compassionate, and our actions match our words.
- People will trust us if they believe we are protecting their rights.
- Every interaction leaves a lasting impression.
- The safety of both our community and officers are paramount.
We’re a busy department and sometimes the cases we work on involve outside agencies. We work closely with multiple different agencies, judicial, and advocacy partners including:
- Louis County Attorney’s Office
- Regional law enforcement agencies
- Homeland Security
- Mending the Sacred Hoop
- Native Lives Matter Coalition
Maintaining strong professional relationships with outside agencies ensures each case we handle has a well-rounded, victim-centered approach.