About Plastic Carryout Bag Fees
In an effort to reduce litter and the harmful environmental impact caused by single use carryout bags, the Duluth City Council passed an ordinance requiring retailers to collect a fee from customers for each plastic carryout bag provided.
THE CITY OF DULUTH PLASTIC CARRYOUT BAG FEE WILL GO INTO EFFECT ON OCTOBER 15, 2021.
The following bags are excluded from the fee requirement:
- bags without handles used exclusively to carry produce, meats, other food items, or merchandise to the point of sale within a store;
- bags provided by pharmacists to contain prescription drugs;
- bags used to transport take-out foods and prepared liquids intended for consumption away from the retail establishment;
- newspaper bags, door-hanger bags, dry-cleaning bags, bags used to protect fine art paper;
- bags sold in packages containing multiple bags intended for use as garbage, pet waste, or yard waste bags; or
- bags made out of paper