INITIAL CONTACT: City Clerk, 318 City Hall, 411 W. 1st St., Duluth MN 55802.
TELEPHONE NUMBER: (218) 730-5500.
ISSUED TO: Any person possessing a dog or cat within the city. The license period for annual licenses is from January 1 to December 31 and must be renewed every year. Annual license renewal notices are mailed to current pet licensees each December.
- SERVICE DOGS: Service dogs are eligible to be issued a license at no charge. Please note that “emotional support animals” and service animals other than dogs are NOT eligible for this fee waiver.
NOTE: All proceeds from the license fees, minus any city administrative costs, shall be placed into a fund from which all expenditures are directed specifically to the operation of the city animal control program. This fund shall supplement animal control operations.
**NEW** FORM/FEES: Pet License Application/Fee Structure.
**PET RENEWALS**: Now Available Online
LICENSE INFORMATION NEEDED:
- Owner's Name, Address and Phone Number.
- Pet's Name, Breed, Color, Sex, Age and Species (dog or cat).
- Rabies Certificate stating the rabies shot vaccination and expiration dates, or birthdate if pet is too young. (Enclose the original document from your veterinarian. It will be returned with the license.)
- Spaying or Neutering Certificate if your pet has been altered. (Enclose the original document from your veterinarian. It will be returned with the license.)
**NEW** LICENSE TYPES:
- Annual. Compliant and noncompliant (see definitions below).
- Lifetime. Compliant only (see definition below).
- Altered. The animal has been surgically sterilized by a veterinarian and/or that the owner is able to provide documentation that a veterinarian has examined the animal and determined that it has been spayed or neutered.
- Unaltered. Any animal for which the owner is unable to provide documentation that the animal has been altered.
- Compliant. The animal is currently vaccinated against rabies and altered.
- Noncompliant. The animal does not meet any or all of the following requirements: vaccinated against rabies, altered and/or licensed.
To obtain a pet license you can do one of the following:
- Mail the license fee and certificate(s) to the City Clerk's Office and the license, tag and any original certificates you sent will be mailed back.
- Bring the license fee plus the certificate(s) to the City Clerk's Office between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.
If you own 4 or more dogs or 4 or more cats, you must also apply for a maximum pet license.
To reach the Animal Control Officer or Animal Shelter, please call 218-723-3259 Shelter hours are Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. The shelter is located at 2627 Courtland Street, Duluth, MN 55806.