City Clerk

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions about Conversion Therapy

Often referred to as “reparative therapy,” “ex-gay therapy,” or “sexual orientation change efforts,” conversion therapy is a range of ineffective and unsafe practices aimed at changing a person’s sexual orientation or efforts to change a person’s gender identity or expression.


How a person identifies themselves – e.g. male, female, gender non-conforming, etc. Gender identity can be expressed through appearance and behavior and can include how an individual believes that they are perceived by others.

A part of someone’s identity that includes their sexual or emotional attraction to another person(s). A person may be attracted to men, women, both, neither, and/or people who are genderqueer, bisexual, queer, pansexual, or asexual, among others.

The practice of conversion therapy has been found to be dangerous to an individual’s mental and physical wellbeing. There is no scientifically valid evidence that supports the practice of conversion therapy, moreover the American Psychological Association, the American Medical Association, and the American Academy of Pediatrics oppose and condemn conversion therapy.

This ordinance makes it unlawful for any provider to provide conversion therapy or reparative therapy to a minor.

Conversion therapy was banned by the Duluth City Council in order to help protect the physical and psychological well-being of minors from the harm caused by conversion therapy.

Complaints and Enforcement

Complaints and reports of suspected violations should be submitted to the city clerk’s office.

Complaints/reports can be submitted online, in person, or by mail to: 318 City Hall, 411 West First Street, MN 55802.


Anybody who believes that the ordinance has been violated may submit a complaint or report a violation to the city clerk’s office whether they are the alleged victim or not.

Yes, an anonymous complaint may be filed with the city clerk’s office, and it will be investigated to the best of the investigator’s ability. The person complaining should know that the investigation may be limited if it’s anonymous, but their identity will not be disclosed without their permission.

The City will not notify your parents if you file a report.

There are a number of potential penalties and administrative remedies that could be employed to address violations. Fines may be levied under the city’s Administrative Enforcement Program. These fines start at $200 per violation and are cumulative. In addition to fines, any city-issued permits and licenses may be suspended or revoked.