Fire Department

FAQ and Answers

Rental Licensing FAQs

Owners are required to provide a minimum of 2 parking spaces for up to a 3-bedroom home. If you have more than 3 bedrooms, you will need on additional parking space for each additional bedroom. Each parking space needs to be a minimum of 9' wide x 17' long.

Required for Rental Licenses:

1 Bedroom...  2 Spaces
2 Bedroom... 2 Spaces
3 Bedroom... 2 Spaces
4 Bedroom... 3 Spaces

A code official will require the construction of additional parking if they determine there is space on the rental property to provide or construct the required off-street parking space(s) in conformance with the Code. If it is determined that adequate parking cannot provided, there is a $100.00 non-conforming parking spot fee for each spot not provided.

Once the Life Safety office receives a completed rental license application, along with the required fees, an initial inspection will be scheduled within 7-10 business days. The purpose of this inspection is to identify what, if any, code corrections need to be made. If the inspector identifies code violations during the initial inspection, a reinspection will be done to verify all corrections have been properly made. Upon verification that the property meets minimum housing code requirements, the rental license will be issued.

An expired license (even for one day) is considered an unlicensed rental per code. The license renewal should be applied for well in advance of the actual license expiration to allow time for the routine inspection and re-licensing process to occur.

Complete and submit the Rental License Transfer Application along with the required $25.00 transfer fee to the address on top of the form.

Click the button below and search Licenses by address or call 218-730-4380.


The Change of Contact Information form can be completed and returned by mail, email or electronically submitted.

Solid Waste/Abandoned Vehicles

Fill out and submit the Blight Complaint Form. You can also call the Life Safety office at 218-730-4380 to report a complaint.

Fill out and submit the Blight Complaint Form. You can also call the Life Safety office at 218-730-4380 to report a complaint.

Yes, per city ordinance, all residents within city limits have to have garbage service.

Fire Prevention

Please fill out our online form or call 1-800-723-2020.

Click here to view our Recreational Fire Regulations

The intent of the operation permit program is to gain compliance with the Minnesota State Fire Code. This code helps ensure a greater level of life safety for the public, owners/occupants, and firefighters.

We are looking to provide the least hazardous situation within the confines of existing buildings. The most common checks are ensuring the maintenance of the fire suppression systems, making sure exits are clear and accessible, and confirming the building is being maintained for its intended use.

Failure to comply with the Minnesota State Fire Code is a misdemeanor, and result in a citation.


Learn more online or schedule a tour by calling 730-4394.

  • Once a condemnation order has been issued, the property cannot be occupied. It must be brought into compliance with minimum life-safety housing code before the orders can be lifted. This includes restoring all utilities and having the property inspected to verify compliance with code.
  • The property must be registered as a vacant building after 30 days in a condemned status. A Vacant Building Registration form must be completed and sent in to the address on the top of the form along with the required fee.