Is Firefighting for you?
The Fire Service is one of life's most challenging yet rewarding career fields. Each shift, firefighters come to work with a good attitude to help and serve others. Whether it is rescuing people from a burning building, extinguishing fires, conducting fire investigations, rescuing crash victims, saving people from fast-moving water, rope rescue, participating in public fire education, or neutralizing a hazardous-materials spill, this profession will challenge you, yet give you a life-long sense of accomplishment and being part of a team.
Questions? Email JoinDFD@duluthmn.gov
What Steps Need to be Completed to Become a Firefighter?
You will be tested in the following categories:
- Reading Comprehension
A nationally standardized physical ability test performing eight different fire service job related tasks consecutively while wearing a 50 lb. vest to simulate fire clothing and equipment.
- Stair climb (climbing stairs while carrying an additional 25 lb simulated hose pack)
- Ladder Raise and Extension (placing a ground ladder at the fire scene and extending the ladder to the roof or a window)
- Hose Drag (stretching uncharged hoselines, advancing lines)
- Equipment Carry (removing and carrying equipment from fire apparatus to fireground)
- Forcible Entry (penetrating a locked door, breaching a wall)
- Search (crawling through dark unpredictable areas to search for victims)
- Rescue Drag (removing victim or partner from a fire building)
- Ceiling Pull (locating fire and checking for fire extension)
Be prepared to explain your personal training and educational background.
High School Diploma or GED
Firefighter I & II Certification and Emergency Medical Technician (both may be obtained through a technical or community college)
- Gain experience by working on an area volunteer fire department and/or ambulance service
- Maintain a high level of physical fitness
- Volunteer in your community (example: youth center, Habitat for Humanity)
- Be prepared for a background check.
- Obtain a two-year degree in fire service.
What we offer
- Dynamic co-workers
- Team-oriented environment
- Exciting work life
- Excellent benefits
- Education and fitness reimbursement
- Medical, dental, life insurance, PERA pension plan and more
- Competitive wages
- Starting pay of $58,356 annually
- Overtime pay is 1.5x
- Opportunity for advancement
Interested in working with us? Apply today!