Note that the U.S. Department of Labor has created a new website for federal wage determination data. To access the site, go to: https://beta.sam.gov/.
Duluth City Code 1959 stipulates that all laborers and mechanics working on city projects $2,000 or higher be paid prevailing wage. This includes anyone performing manual labor on the project site, including administrative staff – owners, partners, executives, managers, etc. - when they are performing manual tasks, as well as truck drivers with few exceptions. Also, all contractors and subcontractors working on the project (including trucking companies transporting materials with few exceptions) are required to submit documentation of prevailing wage payment. The documents we need to review payrolls are broken down as follows:
- All projects:
- Payroll forms- you may use the federal, MnDOT, or your own payroll form, as long as it contains the required data as provided for on the MnDOT or federal payroll forms.
- MnDOT statement of compliance- the MnDOT statement of compliance is preferred whether you submit the federal statement of compliance or not, as the MnDOT statement of compliance contains the data the city of Duluth needs, whereas the federal statement of compliance does not.
- Apprenticeship documents- paperwork for each apprentice is due the first time they appear on the payroll.
- ITO (independent truck operator) documents- the cab card, insurance, and CDL for each ITO is required once for each project (this includes ITOs hired by the prime contractor and/or any subcontractors).
- IC134/Contractor Affidavit form- must be submitted at the end of the project before the final estimate is paid.
- With federal funding (in addition to the requirements listed above for all projects):
- Signed Federal statement of compliance- the federal statement of compliance must accompany each payroll submitted. Note, however, that the city of Duluth still requires the MnDOT statement of compliance in addition to the federal statement of compliance.
- EEO-12 form prior to project start
- EEO-13 form submitted monthly (except month of July when forms are due weekly)
- With state of Minnesota funding (in addition to the requirements listed above for all projects):
Submitting your payroll documents:
Subcontractors: please submit your documents to the prime contractor and they will forward the information to us.
Or U.S. Mail:
Attn: Angela Herbert
City of Duluth Public Works & Utilities Department- Engineering Division
City Hall, Room 240
411 W 1st St
Duluth, MN 55802
For questions, please call: 218-730-5081
For other City of Duluth projects not administered by the Engineering Division, please contact the appropriate department for payroll guidance. If you are not sure which City of Duluth department is administering the project, please contact Engineering and we will assist you.
See the following links for more information regarding prevailing wage:
- Wage Decisions:
- MN Department of Labor and Industry Highway/Heavy Prevailing Wage Decision (for most City and state funded Engineering projects)
- For archived wage determinations, contact the engineering office for a copy.
- MN Department of Labor and Industry Commercial Prevailing Wage Decision (not used often in Engineering, but applicable for projects involving buildings)
- Federal Wage Decisions
- Scroll down to 'What Can I Do Here?'
- Click on 'Search Wage Determinations'
- Scroll down to 'Wage Determination Type'
- Click 'Davis-Bacon Act (DBA)'
- Click in empty box below 'Location/Select State'
- Start typing Minnesota and it'll pop up <click on it when it does> OR scroll down the state list and click Minnesota
- Click in empty box below 'Location/Select County/Independent City'
- Start typing St Louis and it'll pop up <click on it when it does> OR scroll down the county/city list and click St Louis
- The wage decisions will appear on the right-hand side- just click on the one you need