A: When snow is here, you have 24 hours to clear! Duluth City Ordinance Chapter 45 Article VI requires property owners with a public sidewalk abutting their property to remove snow and ice within 24-hours after a snowfall. This is necessary to ensure the safety of people using the sidewalks during the winter. Please follow these DOs and DON'Ts:
- Remove snow and ice from sidewalks and intersection handicap ramps
abutting your property within 24-hours of snowfall ending.
- Clear snow the width of the sidewalk. Remember that sidewalks are used by
strollers and wheelchairs in the winter.
- Remove ice to bare pavement or make as level as possible. If necessary,
treat with sand, an environmentally friendly deicing agent, or similar material.
- Clear any snow that may be blocking a handicapped ramp, fire hydrant or catch basin.
- Shovel or plow snow into the street: Violators caught shoveling snow from a sidewalk or property into the street will be fined.