The City of Duluth conducted a study of 1st Street from Mesaba Avenue to 24th Avenue E. This street through Downtown and the East Hillside is a two-way street in some sections, and a one-way street in other sections. The directional changes lead to driver confusion and safety issues – for people in vehicles and people walking – along the corridor.
This study included:
- Understanding uses and needs along the corridor.
- Documenting street width, parking, turning movements, and other pertinent information.
- Developing traffic forecasts to determine how a two-way street will function, and what changes would be needed for a two-way street.
- Identifying cross-section alternatives for the street, and a conceptual layout.
There were two Open Houses this summer (Public Comments):
- For the section from Mesaba Ave to 6th Ave E – Thursday, June 27, 4:30-6:00 pm in Room 303, City Hall, 411 W 1st
- For the section from 6th Ave E to 24th Ave E – Thursday, July 25, 5:00 – 6:30 pm at Grant Recreation Center, 901 E 11th St
There was one Open House this fall (Public Comments):
- For the whole corridor from Mesaba Ave to 24th Ave E - Thursday, October 3, 5:00-6:30pm in Room 330, City Hall, 411 W 1st
Alliant prepared a final report for the study.