The City of Duluth conducted a study of 1st Street from Mesaba Avenue to 24th Avenue E. This street through Downtown and the East Hillside is a two-way street in some sections, and a one-way street in other sections. The directional changes lead to driver confusion and safety issues – for people in vehicles and people walking – along the corridor.
This study included:
- Understanding uses and needs along the corridor.
- Documenting street width, parking, turning movements, and other pertinent information.
- Developing traffic forecasts to determine how a two-way street will function, and what changes would be needed for a two-way street.
- Identifying cross-section alternatives for the street, and a conceptual layout.
Frequently Asked Questions
There were two Open Houses in June and July of 2019 (Public Comments):
- For the section from Mesaba Ave to 6th Ave E – Thursday, June 27, 4:30-6:00 pm in Room 303, City Hall, 411 W 1st
- For the section from 6th Ave E to 24th Ave E – Thursday, July 25, 5:00 – 6:30 pm at Grant Recreation Center, 901 E 11th St
There was one Open House in October of 2019 (Public Comments):
- For the whole corridor from Mesaba Ave to 24th Ave E - Thursday, October 3, 5:00-6:30pm in Room 330, City Hall, 411 W 1st
There were two virtual webinars in May of 2020 (Public Comments)
- For the section from 3rd Ave E to 24th Ave E - Wednesday, May 27th, 4:30-6:00 pm via Webex
- For the section from 6th Ave W to 3rd Ave E - Thursday, May 28th, 4:30-6:00pm via Webex
Alliant prepared a final report for the study.
Downtown Loading Zone Working Draft
If you would like to review and provide input on these drafts, please send comments to Mark Bauer at email@example.com by no later than March 13, 2020