Skip to main content
Licenses & Permits

Peddler, Solicitor, Transient Merchant License

INITIAL CONTACT:  City Clerk, 330 City Hall, 411 W. 1st St., Duluth MN  55802.

FORM:  License Application.

FEE:  See Fee Schedule.

TELEPHONE NUMBER:  (218) 730-5500.


PEDDLER:  Any person who carries merchandise and travels from place to place selling said merchandise.  (Exemption - the licensing requirements of this article shall not be held to include persons selling for bona fide charitable and religious organizations when the entire profit of sales are used for a charitable purpose and do not result in private pecuniary gain to any of the sellers, or to persons who offer for sale or sell or who peddle from house to house or in the markets, vegetables, butter, eggs or other farm or garden products.)

SOLICITOR/CANVASSER:  Anyone who goes about from place to place within the city taking or attempting to take orders for the retail sale of services or personal property of any nature whatsoever, for future performance or delivery.

TRANSIENT MERCHANT:  Any person who temporarily sets up business out of a vehicle, trailer, boxcar, tent, other portable shelter, or empty store front for the purpose of selling goods.  Individuals may not remain in one location for more than 14 consecutive days.  Delivery and payment occur immediately.


PROCEDURE:  Application and fee shall be filed with the City Clerk subject to approval by the Police Department and the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).

Chelsea Helmer
City Clerk
City Hall, Room 330
411 West First Street
Duluth, MN 55802
(218) 730-5500



City of Duluth, 411 West First Street, Duluth, Minnesota 55802
©2019 City of Duluth, Minnesota. All Rights Reserved | Disclaimers | Contact the City | Sitemap
Follow the City of Duluth City Facebook Page City's Twitter Feed City Youtube Channel