Skip to main content
Licenses & Permits

Grading Permit

INITIAL CONTACT:  Building Safety Division, 210 City Hall, 411 W. 1st St., Duluth  MN  55802.

FORM:  Application for Permit (grading is any excavating or filling or combination thereof).

FEE:  See Fee Schedule; scale graduates in both cubic yards and fees as the total cubic yards increases in volume, plan review fees may be added.

TELEPHONE NUMBER:  (218) 730-5240.

ISSUED TO: Those individuals or licensed firms doing grading within the City of Duluth. The purpose of this chapter of the building code is to safeguard life, limb, property and the public welfare by regulating grading on private property. No person shall do any grading without first obtaining a grading permit. When required by the building official, each application for a grading permit shall be accompanied by two sets of plans and specifications, and supporting data of a soil engineering report prepared and signed by a civil engineer. A permit from MPCA is required if five acres or more are being disturbed.

Building Safety Division
City Clerk
City Hall, Room 210
411 West First Street
Duluth, MN 55802
(218) 730-5240



City of Duluth, 411 West First Street, Duluth, Minnesota 55802
©2019 City of Duluth, Minnesota. All Rights Reserved | Disclaimers | Contact the City | Sitemap
Follow the City of Duluth City Facebook Page City's Twitter Feed City Youtube Channel