Construction Services & Inspections

Construction Services & Inspections

**Please note that some of our fees will be increasing as of 1/1/18. The City Fee Schedule can be found here, or the Construction Services fee calculator and flat fee listings can be found here.

The ONE STOP SHOP for Planning, Construction Services and Engineering has added a new shared land use management software system that will improve customer service by streamlining the approval process, providing tracking of projects, permits and plan reviews, integrating land information and GIS mapping. The ONE STOP SHOP offers eTRAKiT3, the online portal for information about property, projects, permits and reviews as well as the ability to submit some applications and obtain some permits online.

Stay in the know!  Subscribe to learn about updates to Construction Services’ webpages as soon as they happen.  Go to /web-subscriptions/sign-up/ and select the Construction Services and Inspections category to be notified by email when we add new web content or make important changes.

View Duluth Construction Services Division presentation slides:

Preparation for 2015 Residential Code Changes

Residential HVAC Contractor Forum May 2015

Residential Gas Meters, Furnace and Boiler Replacements Dec 2015

Click here for fact sheets about effective code dates and how to access the new code.


Plan Review


Contractor Licensing and Bonding

Required contractor licensing is verified by Construction Services prior to issuance of permits.  Links in this section are to the MN Department of Labor & Industry's website.

Residential Construction

Generally, owners occupying a dwelling may obtain permits and do construction work.  Licenses are required for all residential building contractors and residential remodelers who contract with a homeowner to construct or improve dwelling. Owners working on their own property must also be licensed if they build or remodel for the sole purpose of speculation or resale.

Lead Contractor Certification


A property owner may obtain their own plumbing permit for an owner-occupied single family dwelling. For other buildings a licensed, bonded plumbing contractor must obtain the permit and do the work.


A property owner may obtain his/her own electrical permit for an owner-occupied single family dwelling with the exception of installing a new service.  A licensed electrical contractor must perform any work involving installation of the main panel or any work ahead of the panel (ie, mast or meter socket).


An owner may obtain an HVAC permit for a residential project in the owner-occupied dwelling. Mechanical contractors must have a current bond on file with MN Department of Labor & Industry. This will be verified during processing of contractor permit applications prior to issuance of the permit.  If the project involves installation in a NEW commercial building, engineered mechanical drawings will be required with permit application.


  Unified Development Chapter - Zoning Regulations

Residential Parking Zoning Regulations


Agency Requests for Zoning or Building Code Compliance Verification
Requests from MN Dept of Health or Human Services for Daycares, Salons, etc.


Food Service Facilities (Equipment and Procedures)
Fats, Oils and Grease Ordinance


Rental, Housing and Fire Code Information

Life Safety Office 218/730-4380

The following are administered and enforced by the Life Safety Office located at 615 W. 1st St., Duluth MN 55802. Please contact the Life Safety office directly for information on these topics.

For information about Life Safety/Fire Prevention, visit the Fire Department's website by clicking here.

  • Rental License Information and Applications
  • Housing, Property Maintenance and Rental Code Information and Enforcement
  • Solid Waste Compliance and Blight Information
  • Abandoned Vehicles
  • Condemnations for Habitation
  • Fire Code Information
  • Fire Marshal Contact



Wendy Rannenberg
Construction Services Manager
City Hall, Room 210
411 West First Street
Duluth, MN 55802
(218) 730-5300


Dan Nelson
Municipal Building Official
210 City Hall, 411 West First St.
Duluth, MN 55802
Phone: (218) 730-5300

Keith Hamre
Planning & Construction Services
Phone: (218) 730-5297

Office Hours:
8:00 am - 4:00 pm Mon.-Fri.
No new business after 3:45 pm 

City of Duluth, 411 West First Street, Duluth, Minnesota 55802
©2018 City of Duluth, Minnesota. All Rights Reserved | Disclaimers | Contact the City | Sitemap
Follow the City of Duluth City Facebook Page City's Twitter Feed City Youtube Channel